Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Veggie or Non-Veggie

Personally , I don't want to write controversial topics.....But the writer in me is asking to write a one...Here it is.....

Let me ask these questions and try analysing this topic . My friend Sarvesh Upadhyaya, Mechanical Engineering, McMaster University helped me a lot in gathering points..Most of the points are from our debate!!!!!!!!!

(1) What is a vegetarian ???? (Let's fix the STANDARD definition first..)

(2) Is there any difference between vegetarian and non-vegetarian ???

(3) Man (Homosaphiens) by evolution (nature's creation) is veggie or non-veggie ???

(4) Is it meaningful to be a vegetarian ???

Definition: Only Herbivorous (i.e: plant eating including fruits) are all vegetarians. We don't want to go into debates such as egg i and milk s vegg ie or non-veg. Lets "assume" these controversial egg and milk items are non-veg.

Is there any difference between eating plants and animals ?? ..................................................

Scientifically, plants and animals are all living beings. They have the same system except animals have well developed nervous system. Plants infact have a better system to adaptability. They funtion similar to animals (except locomotion) . There is no biological and functional difference between a plant or even a single celled amoeba (or even bacteria). They do most of the activities similar to animals. No clear demarcation line can be drawn indicating the basic functional differences. If animals have spirit or soul, then plants do have same spirit as their functionalities are similar. But the main difference exists in the form of chemical composition . For ex: Plants have more cellulose and animals have more proteins.

Is eating meat a sin??................................................................

I don't think eating meat is sin because the nature who created us has created lion and tiger who devours herbivourous animals. If concept of sin is applied to us, then it is applied to all the carnivorous animals including lion and tiger.

Man (Homosaphiens) by evolution (nature's creation) is veggie or non-veggie ??.........................

Man by evolution is vegetarian. simple argument is Homosaphiens when evolved don't have stronger teeth, bigger mouth and stronger nails (incomparison to carnivorous). These three things are essential for the meat eaters. Say for example, all the carnivorous uses these three basic systems to devour on another animals. Nails are used to tear the flesh, kill the prey. Bigger mouth and stronger teeth is used to bite at the neck of the prey. Ours are comparitively much weeker even though we are advanced creatures of the nature, which means we are not created as a non-veggie.

Is it meaningful to be a vegetarian ??............................................

By the second argument, yes it is not meaningful to be a vegetarian as eating plants and animals are all one and the same (all living being with most of the similar functionalities). But being the matured race of the evolution, I feel it is important to save the other species. Also, by evolution (when created) Homosaphiens are only vegetarians. If we believe nature as the god (so evolution a god's process), then our default state is vegetarian.

Finally to conclude, If you are satisfied with your current state as veggie or non-veggie, better stick with it...because it gives you satisfaction.

I welcome all of your comments on this controversial topic. I believe each others belief is respectable.

Note: I am still a type of veggie ( sometimes egg, most of the times milk products) .

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evolution----Vegetarian---Nonvegetarian
Mammu good connection...
I won't believe in evolution until anyone can define me "What is internal energy and what is entropy?"
"Where they came from?"....

Regarding eating....All creations are created for man by God(Christianity)...
Animals&plants --Spirit (Not eternal)
Human --Spirit (Eternal)...

Good topic to discuss..to explain it..I need a new blog..haa haa...
Anyhow,except human all things in the earth are made for human.

Shrinivas said...

Man has created certain rules and regulations for himself and other human beings in order to be in the same plane of understanding and to avoid conflicts.But everyone need not agree to the rules created by someone or some group.

Shrinivas said...

Following the above point, People have agreed upon classifying few things as Veg and Non Veg and no one has classified "Humans" as Non Veg. :)

Balasubramanian Ganapathy Subramani (Bala) said...

Dae, Tiks..I go with NSS (who said man made things)...But evolution as such can be the process of creation of the world (God can be the creator). Why don't you think God follows evolution (a more structured scientific approach) to create humans. I am not able to see the connection between energy, entrophy and the source.

Karthik Sivakkani said...

Let me stand along with NSS, Culture makes the difference,culture can be defined as shared values among group of people.it like likes go with likes,may be bcos of taste,physical difference,allergy,fear/perception,in general human always looks for support of his own thought and goes with it.simply it is rules.rules can be changed for our convenient.some eats dog,cockroach,snake,ox,camel....to extereme we call some cannibals who exist in this world.
its all about our like,perception,neighbours and culture.

Fruit became Beer 'n now?

Unknown said...

Human rules are selfish...
Again,survival of the fittest..
If nothing to eat except man,Humans may change their rules to eat...

There will be Only One Truth...All creations were made for Man

Unknown said...

Dai balsu,

I am questioning "What is science(energy+matter)?"...No answer...

Then, how can i take evolution in more scientific way?..
again
Science=(constants+assumptions+selfish rules)=Foolish way......"100% ideality is not possible"

Balasubramanian Ganapathy Subramani (Bala) said...

Buddy Tiks,

Science is not just energy and matter, itslef is more. I accept science cannot explain something (i.e: Spiritual, which I call as science beyond science). But I also don't accept that today's science is not able to explain anything. Evolution is more scientific. I really dont know here your confusion is. If possible, I will try to explain your doubts. Pls post them clear. What you are confused is evolution different from gods creation. Why don't you think god himself created this world in a structured Sceitifc process called as evolution. Evolution itself is god's creation. I dont think God to be a poor manager having lot of randomness in his activities. I see convergence in evolution..Thats what an intellectual manager like god will follow.

Unknown said...

Let me tell you my view of science...nothing but study of light...About light and through light to determine the existence of everything....If you are good in Analytical chemistry&chemical engineering& Bio chemistry...You will get the above point...(My following discussion may be too spiritual for you..but it is the truth...Once you will leave the earth you will come to know that..haa haa)

God is beyond our imagination and he loves us..He is near us.

"Let there be light"-Gen 1:3
This is God told to help Man to use energy for his existence in world.

I won't believe "Man came from Monkey"..caz already I got the truth.

For you(to think&search the truth)
The composition of Sand and human body ...The living cells of monkey and man....

God breathed into human nostrils the breath of life,and the man became a living being-Gen 2:7
HE GAVE HIS ENERGY(internal) which can be controlled by him alone..thats why he is helping us through light every day..every minute..
(JUST, TRY TO FIND THE ORIGIN FOR SCIENCE AND EVERYTHING THAT EXIST IN THE WORLD...YOU WILL END UP WITH
"LIGHT")...
I conveyed what i want to tell...Until GOD makes you to understand i can't help...
ONLY THING I CAN DO is i will pray for you.

"I am a man of prayer"-Psalm 109:4

with love&prayer,
ur loving friend tikolo

Unknown said...

evolution a god's process....never thought of it like that...( never heard of that quote either). I thought, both are like 2 different extremes, like most people who believe in god's creation (like Tikolo) don't agree on evoultion, and most, who believe on evolution do question about god's part in creation. Still, some people, like u try to link both side of the story.
Well, This is all so complicated, that no one can convince no one, because no one knows whats the truth. And each person see things differently, and thus what one sees, can't be realized by other.
Now, remember, you are debating against tikolo, and u know, that u will lose. ...just kidding !!
My question is.... Why should God follow a structured approach ??
You are saying about a Gud manager. To me, Any one (u, me...) can be a gud manager if we follow a structured system / logic. But who perfects it (managing) in all the chaos and randomness, is the REAL manager, and thats God. To me, God doesn't need to follow Structural programming.
Coming to the original topic ofeg vs non-veg, ......( Eat whatever u want, doesn't matter. What it matters is, Eat the right amount. Any thing when over dosed is Poison. (Athingam thindraal, Amuthaamum nanchu )

Signing off,
Psycho.

Balasubramanian Ganapathy Subramani (Bala) said...

Good onedaa Psycho... You proved it!!!. You came late but ur ideas are latest....

"Why god should follow a structured approach???"..

Let me write a separate topic over this...We can discuss a lot...:)

Unknown said...

Hi!
well i will definetly avoid the religious-evolution discussion since i have no chance :) The idea of god as the real manager is quite interesting though. Well as you (Bala) know, i consider myself a vegetarian even though i eat eggs (sometimes) and dairy products. Is it meaningful to be a veggie? depends on the point of view, from the point of view of sustainable development, it definetly is, since the world (created or not for humans) can't sustain our present meat consumption patterns...

Unknown said...

...cause fishing and cattle farming have so many harmful effects on the environment. And well, for a veggie student in a country where vegetarianism remains in the twilight zone it must be meaningful, cause certainly it isn't practical.

A big hug for my friend, all the way from Mexico

¡AdiĆ³s!
Gina

Balasubramanian Ganapathy Subramani (Bala) said...

A good one ...Hope we have seen here a new view based on the concerns of environmental engineer.

Anonymous said...

I agree with almost all comments posted above: with Aravind's "I need a whole new blog to carry on this discussion", with Shrinivas' "No one rule binds everyone", Karthik's flexibie rules and the fruit now becoming
beer ;) Senthamizh's "This is all so complicated",Gina's "meaningful perhaps not practical"......


As to the blog post, I hate to discuss religion or its implications. A not so strict veggie, and known as a "believer" and an "athiest" equally well, here I go (yeah yeah, not my blog - so no need for the drum-roll entry before my comments!!):

There are a few things I am not sure of: let us first ask what a few terms in the post mean to each ofus: "STANDARD", "sin", "meaning", "Science", "evolution", "spirit", "who created us", "weeker",
"satisfaction". I was reading Feynman once, and I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere too that all the cells, atoms, molecules and
smaller than those things is science, and what is in between them is 'life'. That is where I stand on "spirit" and "who created us". F also describes life as a huge chess-board, where all the moves are pre-determined by The
Player, but for that there are millions of pieces moving so frequently, that someone who watches the game over the period of a few decades (perhaps humans) find it all so chaotic and some times even "unfair". As to evolution, I always thought necessity was the mother of evolution: so, the question of man being "evolutionarily supported to be a herbivore or carnivore" does not appeal to me. On "weaker", what creature is
more gifted than man - he can choose!! The other day, a colleague of mine was "the steak at that restaurant is hmm.... wow.... so... I mean the best I've ever had.... I mean...." and on and on, and that I need to try it some time. When he discovered I was vegan, he was all sorries, but going in line with "out of the box" thought, I said, "Perhaps you are crusading for the plants!!" - just in the light vein.... that's where I am. I "may have" started out as a vegetarian 'coz of my religion or my surroundings, but I chose to be a veggie, out of pure free will!!

I have friends where the husband is a vegan and the wife is not; mom takes meat, son does not and so on. No big deal!! To me, THAT is evolution - of the mind. So why debate? I mean, I see organizations, webpages, and more "canvassing" for veggies, quoting famous personalities from Leo Tolstoy to Pamela Anderson (not in any order of significance) - what's the point? Are there no successful carnivores? What I don't buy: when I go into a restaurant and tell I need a veggie dish and the waiter gives a shrug (saying to himself "loser"), or when he
brings in a dish with meat when I yell at him in my distinct broken lousy whining English several times "no meat just beans". Perhaps he's having a long day - I can handle that - but I do get irritated when one does not let me
appreciate my practice of twenty five years!!

So leave it there and pick up "newer" stuff - like Monks and Politics!!! Hope my point (ok - my line of infinite points) is well taken....

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
I am totally confused

WHAT TO EAT?
WHO IS GOD?
I know i am blindly following my parents for both the questions...

Religion and food have to be revealed before my death...

Common guys continue the war and find the truth...
Haa Haa

ARZ said...

I heard a story of how vegetarians emerged?

During the olden days (stone age??), when humans were hunting animals to eat, one guy claimed himself a vegetarian it seems..

You know why? He was a bad hunter :-))

~ ARZ